Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 15 - Magically Heal Your Relationships

Using Gratitude to Repair Your Relationships

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
Gautama Buddha (Circa 563 BC - 483 BC)
Founder of Buddhism

Rhonda says, "When we are faced with a difficult relationship or a challenging situation in a relationship, in almost all cases, we're not in the least bit grateful for the other person. Instead, we're busy blaming the other person for the problems we have with them and that means we don't have a shred of gratitude. Blame is never going to make a relationship better and it's never going to make your life better. In fact, the more you blame, the worse the relationship gets and the worse your life gets." Page 141, The Magic.


How does Gratitude Repair Damaged Relationships?

Today's assignment is to choose one difficult, problematic, or broken relationship that I want to improve then list ten things I am grateful for about that person.

I love Gary. We have been together for twenty years. Some good and some bad.

I chose this relationship to work on. It can be difficult at times because he has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (he isn't the easiest person to live with.)

I cannot change him. I know I can't change anyone but myself. So I need to work on how I think, feel and react. So here I go.

  1. Gary, I'm grateful to you for sticking with me through all the good and bad times because that is what  keeps our relationship strong.
  2. Gary, I'm grateful to you for our daughter. The happiness she brings me everyday could not exist without you.
  3. Gary, I'm grateful for the years to come as we grow old together in wisdom and love.
  4. Gary, I'm grateful to you for all the hard work and long hours you put in to support our family.
  5. Gary, I'm grateful to you for all the time and energy you spent on fixing up our house. You helped to make it our home.
  6. Gary, I'm grateful to you for all those good times we had together. We laughed til our stomachs hurt.
  7. Gary, I'm grateful to you for accepting, and loving Bethany and Chelsea as your own.
  8. Gary, I'm grateful for all those precious times we had with the girls as they were growing up.
  9. Gary, I'm grateful to you for those times you took care of me when I was sick or injured.
  10. Gary, I'm grateful to you for taking the time to work on our vehicles because I know it a lot of work.

Gratitude Stone

I was most grateful for yesterday being the perfect day of course. It was magical.

I especially liked the part where Christina was laughing. We usually see her just moping around the house in her pajamas.

Gratitude Journal

I Am Grateful: (Day 15)

  1.  For all the sleep I had today because I must have needed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  2. To everyone who made it possible for me to sleep away the day because I must have needed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  3. To Cole for making supper tonight because I was too drowsy to do. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  4. To Christina for taking the three girls out today because I really needed the break. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  5.  To Christina for making pancakes this morning because they were yummy and a nice change from my usual alphabets. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  6. To Cole for taking Lexi home tonight because I enjoy playing with my granddaughters more than driving them around. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  7. To Nicole and Christina for sitting at the table after supper and just talking because it warms my heart to see the two of you laughing together. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  8. To Gary for thinking of me when he went out to the corner store tonight because it makes me feel good.Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  9. For Gary taking the time to read to Faith at bed time because she so desperately craves his attention.Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  10.  For the conversation I had with one of my coworkers today. She told me about the huge stack of work piling up on my desk and how everyone is concerned and misses me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
This was really easy. I just whipped through the list. Now I am looking forward to your comments or become a follower or subscribe via email!

Tomorrow is day 16 - Magic and Miracles in Health. Sounds interesting to me.
Blogging tips