Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 2: The Magic Rock

My Granddaughters and I dug up these stones last summer in
 our  back yard. We spent many hours digging up these
 "dinosaur bones and eggs."

Today is day two. It's find your Magic Rock day. My daughters have already found their Magic Rocks. I have to get out to the garden and just pick one.

I can't wait to hold my Magic Rock, also known as a gratitude stone. I think it will be a wonderful tool to remind me to be grateful and as Rhonda Byrne said in The Secret, to change my "life into gold."







"Reflect upon your present blessings of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes of which all men have some."
Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
Writer

I have a bad habit of allowing my mind to wonder off into reflections of the past. And yes they are usually not good ones. I am equally as bad for drifting into daydreams of future events and predicting bad outcomes. It's such a waste of time. And it hard to enjoy life when your mind is never in the present. 

A good thing about making gratitude a part of your life is it keeps you in the now.  Mindfulness. (The state of active, open attention on the present so life doesn't just pass by. It means living in the moment.) Add gratitude and your life suddenly becomes wonderful.

Today, I will avoid those trips down memory lane and futuristic vacations.


Gratitude Journal

I Am Grateful For (Day 2):
1.    My Husband because he is my life partner.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
2.    My Mom because she is always there for me with a kiss and a hug.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
3.    My Granddaughters because their exuberance for life is contagious. I can't help but smile when I look at them.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
4.    The air conditioner in our home because the high temperature outside is enough to fry eggs on the side walk.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
5.    My laptop and the internet because I thoroughly enjoy  the games, the movies, the blogs, email and the fact that you can find the answer to any question you may have.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
6.    Our backyard because I love sitting out in the back yard and working on my garden.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
7.    My bedroom because it is an oasis of serenity in a hectic day.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
8.    The colour red because it makes me happy.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
9.    The church because they have been helping us out.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
10. The beautiful summer weather because I love being outside enjoying the beauty of it all.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Find Your Gratitude Stone

I went out to the garden in my back yard today to find my gratitude stone. I didn't take enough time to choose it. I wish I had a few days to search for the perfect rock but I am too anxious to start using it.

I pictured a smooth shiny egg shaped stone that is reddish brown with a couple of streaks of black through it. It is round on one side and flat on the other. It is smooth and fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. 

I'm thinking I should paint it and then put some polyurethane on it. Definitely. Then it will be perfect.

Conclusion

I had a little difficulty today thinking of new items to be grateful for. I normally just repeat the same ones every day. But I did it. I wonder what I will be grateful for tomorrow.

It is now two o'clock in the morning. I will hold my magic rock just before I go to bed and think of the best thing that happened today. I will update you tomorrow.

How often do you catch yourself thinking/daydreaming about the past and future? 

How are you at avoiding those daydreams? 


Have you found your magic rock yet because I know you will find it a wonderful tool to help you to remember to be grateful.


What does Day 3: Magical Relationships hold?




I look forward to reading your comments. Sharing is caring.



Blogging tips