Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 5 – Magic Money

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty."
Christian Science Hymnal

Again the lesson here is to be grateful for what we have. Not always wanting more or better or different.

Rhonda says, " No matter what your current situation, the very thought that you don't have enough money is being ungrateful for the money you have. You have to get your current situation out of your mind and instead feel grateful for the money you do have, so the money in your life can magically increase."

The Assignment

Today's assignment is to be grateful for all the things I received in my life that were provided at no charge to me. 

Most of my memories from childhood concerning money is that there was very little of it. My father died at the age of thirty-seven leaving my mother a widow at thirty. She was a single mother raising three children. I was ten at the time, my sister was eight and my brother was three.

We didn't have a lot but I can't say that I lacked for anything. I didn't have the best of the best but that was okay. We were all very close and there was so much love in our home.

Mom made sure we always had food on the table. She worked hard to keep the house so we were able to stay there in one place as we grew up. She ensured we had proper fitting clothes as we quickly outgrew them each season. We were even given a new outfit for back to school and at Christmas. I remember presents under the tree and turkey dinner for the holidays. I never had to worry about getting medicine, new glasses or visiting the dentist.

Once I was old enough to get my driver's licence, my Mom sent my younger sister and I to Driver Training classes and she bought my first car.

And when I moved into my own apartment, my Mom gave me the necessities such as dishes, pots and pans, cutlery etc. She would even stop by with care packages of food, toilet paper etc.

My Mom took care of my three daughters so I could go to work and not worry about where my children were or if they we being taken care of properly. I appreciated my Mom watching my girls because I knew she would instill in them the our morals, habits.

Of course I am very grateful that I was able to go to college. 

The first time, I took a commercial art course at Mohawk college. It was a program paid through employment insurance that allowed eighteen to twenty-four year old people to be trained and receive living expenses.

The second time I went to college, I took accounting courses at Conestoga College. The courses and books were paid through my Indian Status.

I am also grateful for my Status. And now that my daughters can have their status. We don't ever have to worry about the costs associated with the dentist, optometrist, prescription drugs, Provincial Sales Tax, etc.

These are but a few of the instances were I received money. It is not possible for me to list them all here but I remember and I am very, very grateful.

I have a post it note on my computer so I can be reminded everyday of the abundant amount of money I have received and will receive.

I "promise whenever I receive any money, whether it's my salary for work, a refund or discount or something that someone gives me that costs money, I will be truly grateful for it."

Last Nights Gratitude Stone

I held my gratitude stone in my hand last night and thought about everything I had to be grateful for. I have to say I was most grateful for the money we have at this time in our lives. It is such a relief and good feeling to be able to go out and purchase items without worrying Thank you, thank you, thank you.


I Am Grateful For: (Day 5)

  1. The abundance of energy I have because I was able to accomplish so much today inside and outside of the house.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  2. Nicole and Nick for preparing supper for us all. It was delicious, it filled our stomachs and it allowed me to spend that time doing other things.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  3. Gary because he loves me and means well.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  4. My granddaughters because they are always the sunshine in my day. Faith was especially adorable today. She called me over to look up into the tree. She told me to look at the red bird. She said it was beautiful and that she has never seen one like that before.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  5. The person who stole my laptop because it gave me a reason to purchase a new one which is has a larger screen and keyboard, more speed and space.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  6. My backyard because I love spending time out there enjoying the beautiful weather, listening to the crickets and birds and breathing the fresh air.
  7. The quiet time I get after my granddaughters are in bed because it gives me time to reflect, unwind and post on my blogs.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  8. Gary for carrying the laundry baskets down to the laundry room and for taking out the garbage today because it allows me the time to accomplish other things.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  9. My house because it is my sanctuary and it feels so good to be here.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  10. My doctor for listening to me and making me feel important. Not everyone has a good doctor.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Conclusion

I found it extremely easy to be grateful for all the magic money I have received but every once a small voice would speak up and say, "what about that time the heat was turned off, or the electricity?" My brain keeps going back to times when I felt like there was not enough. I try to stop the thought before it is completed and go back to being grateful for what I did have.


 I am grateful for so much but I feel silly saying thank you for things like toilet paper even though I am truly grateful for it. I remember many times running out of toilet tissue and running around the house looking for something because I needed to go bad. I guess the thing to do here  is stop worrying about looking and feeling silly or stupid and just type it in.

So this is the end of day five. 


Feel free to copy this image so you can print it and post it on your grateful board.


Isn't it amazing to see how many items are listed when you think about times you received money? What does your list look like? I look forward to reading your comments.  :)



Tomorrow is Day 6: Works Like Magic

Like what you see here? Consider becoming a follower or subscribe via email!
Blogging tips